In Audit, you will join a growing team of over 750 relationship driven, curious, problem solvers who add value to their clients daily. Our Audit Teams provide audit assurance services which are vital to our clients' business control and credibility. Our expertise ranges from servicing private, entrepreneurial companies through to UK listed companies, financial services, public sector bodies and some of the largest FT Global organizations in the world. By joining a unique integrated structure, you will benefit from working in collaborative teams and be given responsibility for delivering robust and independent audit services in a supportive environment.
In a rapidly changing business world, we also care about our industry and have long pressed for a debate on audit competition. We believe that companies and their shareholders alike deserve the benefits that increased competition can bring and are committed to playing an active role in shaping its future.
Our specialist public services team provides distinctive audit and advisory services across six sectors - local government, central government, health and social care, education, housing and charities.
The Public Services client base covers:
- Central and local government bodies,
- NHS Trusts and clinical commissioning groups
- Educational institutions
- Housing associations,
The role of an auditor is to ensure financial statements produced by clients are 'true and fair' and an accurate representation of the transactions and balances they claim to represent. In the public services team, you can expect to be part of highly engaged teams, working together to deliver high quality audits in line with client expectations and deadlines. As an Audit Trainee, your time would usually be split between working at client premises, working in the office and studying for your professional exams. However due to the current pandemic situation Mazars continues to work remotely only visiting the office and client sites on a restricted basis.
We are looking for candidates with a strong desire to learn and progress, and we give increasing responsibility when an individual is ready rather than at pre-determined times. However, our broad expectation of roles and responsibilities during the three-year training contract is set out below.
During your first two years you will:
- Work with various clients across a range of sectors, building a strong understanding of their organisation;
- Learn how to prepare professional audit documents in line with our audit methodology using audit software and systems;
- Develop a thorough understanding of financial statements; and
- Be able to obtain relevant information from clients whilst building effective rapport with clients.
- Build and develop audit skills in increasingly complex and technical areas;
- Be able to take ownership for sections allocated in an audit file;
- Self-review your own-work, ensuring minimal review points are raised by managers; and
- Be able to help less experienced team members.
- A passion for public services
- Strong work ethic; the desire to get things done, and to learn and progress.
- Interpersonal skills; the ability to build client relationships with a foundation of trust and responsibility.
- Analytical skills; the ability to accurately and diligently assimilate information, grasp concepts quickly, research and solve problems.
- Independent; the ability to think critically, challenge when appropriate, and to apply professional scepticism.
- Attention to detail and strong time-management skills.
- Credible and effective communication skills (written and verbal)
- Affinity with our values; in particular, respect for individuals, diversity and integrity.
- Minimum of 112 UCAS points. This is based on the new 2017 UCAS Tariff. You can calculate your UCAS points here.
- Grade B or above in GCSE English language and maths.
What we are looking for
We will fund your study towards the ACA qualification.
You will receive a full study package to ensure that you successfully complete your professional qualification. This includes time off to study, attend college and complete online courses. Your professional qualification is only part of the story at Mazars; we support all our trainees with a blended approach to training and development including classroom study, 1:1 coaching, and soft skills training.
You will be supported by a mentor and an appraising manager to keep your career and aspirations on track.