We are offering a
PhD Position - Plant root water uptake and its dependence on soil types
The goal of this project is to determine the influence of different soil types on root water uptake and plant development via different types of measurements combined with a sophisticated 3D computer model of plant soil systems.
Your tasks in detail are:
- Using technologies like SWaP, Magnetic Resonance Imaging, leaf water potential sensors and a variety of other sensors to observe plant and soil hydraulic status
- Use and adaptation of biophysical models of water and solute fluxes in the soil-plant system
- University degree (Master) in plant physiology, plant biophysics, soil hydrology, ecology or agronomy
- Strong interest in plant hydrology
- Affinity for technology and love process thinking
- Ideally have a good understanding of plant and soil hydrology and experience with plant, crop, or soil models
The interdisciplinary nature of the project requires skills in 1) programming (python, C++), 2) modeling, 3) experiments with plants and soils, 4) working with sensor technology and automation. You should have some of these skills and be eager to learn the others.
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change! We offer ideal conditions for you to complete your doctoral degree:
- Extensive company health management
- Ideal conditions for balancing work and private life, as well as a family-friendly corporate policy
- A large research campus with green spaces, offering the best possible means for networking with colleagues and pursuing sports alongside work
- Further development of your personal strengths, e.g. through an extensive range of training courses; a structured program of continuing education and networking opportunities specifically for doctoral researchers via JuDocS, the Jülich Center for Doctoral Researchers and Supervisors: https://www.fz-juelich.de/judocs
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
The position is initially for a fixed term of 3 years. Pay in line with 65% of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund) and additionally 60 % of a monthly salary as special payment ("Christmas bonus"). Further information on doctoral degrees at Forschungszentrum Jülich including our other locations is available at: www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_Docs
Forschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.