IEK-10 focuses on the optimal design and operation of integrated, decentralized energy systems with a high share of renewable energy. Computer simulation and numerical optimization are our essential tools to arrive at efficient, reliable and cost-effective solutions. We contribute both to the development of mathematical models and to the development of improved simulation methods and optimization algorithms. Our methods and software-tools are validated against operating data of real systems. Furthermore, we conduct comprehensive case studies in order to test and further improve the scalability and the performance of our models and algorithms. Specially adapted methods and codes enable us to exploit the potential of high performance computing with the aim of solving particularly large and complex problems.
Scope of the Thesis
To meet the need of advanced simulation capability required by the energy transition, we're developing software that enables large-scale parallel simulation of power systems on with the aid of cutting-edge technologies such as the supercomputers of the Jülich Research Centre and high-performance computing (HPC) clusters with newest GPU and FPGA based accelerators. Your task will be the development and implementation of new methods and tools that improve the efficiency of the developed parallel simulation program.
- Very good background in Computer Engineering, Computational Engineering Science, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or other related subject
- Experience or good knowledge of Python or C/C++
- Parallel programming knowledge is preferred
- Fluent in English (spoken and written)
- Interest in developing new and exciting methods
- Highly motivated scientists of different subject areas working together
- Interdisciplinary work combining physics, mathematics, computer science, and engineering
- Intensive supervision by one or more experienced and helpful colleague(s)
- Friendly and welcoming work environment
We are committed to equality and diversity and welcome applications from everyone! If you are interested, please send us your complete application.
Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH
Institut für Energie- und Klimaforschung - Modellierung von Energiesystemen (IEK-10)
E-Mail: [email protected]