After more than 100 years of condensed matter physics that brought about the commercially important band insulator and the Mott-insulator, recently, the concept of a third kind of insulator, the topological insulator (TI), was discovered - a class of materials in two- (2D) and three dimensions (3D) with fascinating properties: while the inside of a film or solid is a non-metallic electrical insulators, fundamental symmetry considerations require the edges of finite sized films or surfaces of bulk TI to be metallic. These conducting states realizing the metallic surfaces or edges are topologically protected in the sense, that electron propagation is dissipationless because the backscattering of charge carriers is forbidden as long as the topological properties are intact. This is the starting point of a world wide very timely pursued research topic. Our institute has a strong track record in this field, which we would like to extend by offering following
Master Thesis topics:
- Calculational investigation of nanoribbons of Bi 2 Se 3 and Bi 2 Te 3
- Exploration of topological robustness: Ag and Mn point and line defects at the surface and edge states of Bi 2 Se 3 and Bi 2 Te 3
- Investigation of edge states in vicinal Bi(111) and Bi 2 Te 3 (0001) surfaces
- Simulation of the interface of a 2D and 3D topological insulator: Bi nanoribbons on Bi 2 Se 3
- On the search for Chern Insulators: Rare Earth atoms on Graphene
The candidate should have a
- good motivation to enjoy research in an excellent environment, and
- it is expected to have a solid background in solid state physics, and to have motivation to dive into computational physics
- Excellent guidance and mentoring.
- Research in a friendly, multitopical and international setting
- as well as a cooperative work environment in a dynamical institute.
- A fantastic research and computational infrastructure
Prof. Stefan Blügel
Peter Grünberg Institut (PGI) &
Institute for Advanced Simulation (IAS)
email: [email protected]
For further information please contact Prof. Blügel or visit our website at http://www.fz-juelich.de/pgi/pgi-1 .