The Global Insurance Services Practice is a team of over 200 experienced insurance professionals supported by a global network of over 5,000 colleagues. We have first-hand insurance industry knowledge, combined with operational, technical and executional capability.
Our aim is to grow an insurance focused management consulting and actuarial practice in EMEA by focusing on the current and emerging needs of our clients. These clients turn to us for help with a wide variety of complex problems, including: advice on strategy, mergers and acquisitions, capital, financial and risk management. We advise household names and specialist insurers in both life and general insurance across the region.
The actuarial area of the practice offers a wide range of services in the actuarial field, including (but not limited to):
- Pricing & reserve calculations
- Helping insurers charge the correct premiums for their products (e.g. car insurance) to reflect the risks they are taking; and ensuring they hold an appropriate amount of financial resources to both comply with regulation and give comfort to policyholders that their claims will be paid.
- Capital & reinsurance modelling
- Looking at all (financial and non-financial) risks faced by an insurer to calculate the amount of additional financial backing needed to cover the volatility of these risks. This involves carrying out modelling of different scenarios to ensure the amount of resources held is sufficient under different environments that the company may find itself in, in the future.
- Mergers & Acquisitions due diligence
- Analysing a potential sale or purchase of an insurer from a commercial, strategic, financial and/or actuarial standpoint.
- Liability estimation
- Using actuarial techniques to calculate the amount which a company should hold on its balance sheet so the claims of policyholders can be paid as they become due.
What you will do:
As an Actuarial graduate in the GIS team, you will work on multiple projects in a wide variety of fields, gaining a large set of skills applicable to many different industries. The role will be focused on people in the actuarial space, working on capital modelling, regulatory and financial reporting and due diligence, whilst also lending these skills to solving commercial challenges faces by the larger insurance firms in the UK.
You will gain experience in working with top software that is used in many actuarial firms across the industry.
Some of your day to day tasks may include:
- Aid in the delivery of core actuarial risk management projects - exceeding client expectations by demonstrating strong problem-solving skills to addressing project needs
- Learning how to manage complex models and/or research - encompassing a wide range of different regulations (e.g. Solvency II)
- Working effectively with a diverse workforce of colleagues and client staff
- Performing analytical work both individually and in wider teams
- Developing the understanding of technical issues
- Performing data checks on work done by colleagues to ensure a quality final product
- Developing an understanding of insurance business strategy and the components that underpin high performance
What we offer you:
As an actuarial graduate in the GIS team, you will work on multiple projects in a wide variety of fields, gaining a large set of skills applicable to many different industries.
You will receive full study support for undertaking the actuarial exams including:
- Regular study days to prepare for the examination
- Membership fees for the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries paid for
- Exam fees paid for
- Study materials and approved ACTED tutorials paid for
- We are looking for a motivated, inquisitive individual capable of thinking creatively and working as part of a team.
- Candidates must have achieved AAB at A-level or equivalent (Including at least an A in Mathematics)
- Achieved/On course to achieve at least a 2:1 degree in a mathematics/science/economics/finance related degree
- A passion to work as an actuarial consultant at FTI Consulting
Apart from the well-structured career path and excellent team environment, our employees enjoy a variety of perks and benefits. We offer a competitive benefits and wellbeing programme including:
- private medical insurance
- dental insurance
- life insurance
- income protection
- flex critical illness cover
- 5% employer pension contribution
- holiday buy
- discounted gym membership
- interest free travel loans
- paid volunteer hours
- corporate matching for charitable donations
About FTI Consulting
What makes us unique? With more than 6,250 employees located in offices in every corner of the globe, we are the firm our clients call when their most important issues are at stake. Regardless of what level you are, you will have the opportunity to work alongside and learn from top experts in your field on high-profile engagements that impact history. Our culture is collaborative, and we value diversity, recognition, development and making a difference in our communities.
FTI Consulting is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange and has been recognized as a Best Firm to Work For by Consulting magazine and one of America's Best Management Consulting Firms by Forbes . For more information, visit our website and connect with us on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
FTI Consulting is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.