At Boehringer Ingelheim we develop breakthrough therapies and innovative healthcare solutions in areas of unmet medical need for both humans and animals. As a family owned company, we focus on long-term performance. We believe that, if we have talented and ambitious people who are passionate about innovation, there is no limit to what we can achieve; after all, we started with just 28 people. Now, we are powered by 50,000 employees globally who nurture a diverse, collaborative and inclusive culture.
About us: Global Computational Biology and Digital Sciences @ Boehringer Ingelheim
We are part of our Discovery Research area within our Innovation Unit. Through In Silico methods combined with disease biology we want to increase human disease insights. Our goal is to drive faster and improved decision making in order to identify impactful first-in-class therapies for our patients.
The global Computational Biology and Digital Sciences (gCBDS) department is engaged in target discovery research and the application of innovative methods to resolve causative factors in disease progression. Join us and lead computational projects in a multi-disciplinary environment for our Research Beyond Borders (RBB) department.
RBB is a therapeutic area at Boehringer Ingelheim focusing on the development of innovative technologies to drive novel drug discovery projects forward. These technologies have a strong computational biology component that includes pipeline development, advanced data analysis and implementation of novel visualization methods and tools. Examples of such technologies include gene therapy and indication expansion.
As Principal Scientist you act as key contact to multiple RBB research groups with the goal of furthering disease related new therapeutic concepts from large-scale multi-omics datasets.
Discover our Biberach site: xplorebiberach.com
Tasks & responsibilities
- In your new role, you are responsible for defining and driving specific projects in gCBDS while closely cooperating with members of Research Beyond Borders (RBB).
- As gCBDS partner to the TA RBB you oversee all gCBDS activities related to RBB and interact closely with the TA leadership team.
- You are responsible to execute jointly developed strategic priorities and guide junior co-workers.
- With your expertise, you are the interface between RBB and the NGS laboratory whilst being responsible for the definition, coordination and implementation of strategies for ongoing projects.
- You work with multiple omics data, including transcriptomics (RNAseq, scRNAseq), proteomics and genomics datasets, while operating automated standard analysis pipelines with Linux-based local HPC and cloud-based environments.
- Furthermore, you undertake extensive data analysis for the generation and testing of hypothesis in the context of new therapeutic concepts in cooperation with other members of the Computational Biology group or scientists from RBB.
- The work with queuing- and modern pipelining systems (e.g. Nextflow) is also part of your profile.
- PhD in bioinformatics, computational biology, or systems biology research, alternatively master´s degree in this field with longtime professional experience in an international industry environment
- Solid expertise in defining and driving scientific projects (ideally in an industry setting) with previous experience in Biotech- or Pharmaceutical industries
- Experience in the analysis of data from gene therapy technologies (e.g. capsid screens) and / or prior work expertise in indication expansion topics is a plus
- Advanced knowledge of statistical data analysis methods including machine learning modelling and network analysis methods
- Knowledge in R / Bioconductor (preferred) or Python as well as experience with version control systems (e.g. git/bitbucket) with a focus on well-documented and reproducible analyses
- Extensive experience in multi-omics data analysis, network biology, data-integration and RNA-Seq / single cell RNA-Seq
- Team player with excellent communication skills and innovative thinking
EFFECTS OF COVID-19
We will continue to hire talented people and we look forward to receiving your applications. As a result of COVID-19, we have introduced alternative working arrangements to ensure that our employees can stay safe and healthy, because the health of our employees is among our top priorities. At all company locations, we work remotely whenever possible. Additionally, we are now hosting virtual video interviews for applicants. During the limited in-person interviews we still have during this time, we pay special attention to distance and the hygiene rules recommended by the Robert Koch Institute. New employees who do not start on site in production or the laboratories are sent the necessary IT equipment, our Welcome Days take place online, and we plan to conduct their onboarding training virtually whenever possible.
WHY BOEHRINGER INGELHEIM?
This is where you can grow, collaborate, innovate and improve lives.
We offer challenging work in a respectful and friendly global working environment surrounded by a world of innovation driven mindsets and practices. In addition, learning and development for all employees is key, because your growth is our growth. We also offer a competitive salary, generous amount of vacation time, and numerous benefits towards your wellness & financial health and work-life balance. Plus, an onsite gym (Ingelheim), in-house doctor and best-in-class cafeterias and coffee bars to keep you energized and healthy. To learn more about what benefits could be waiting for you, please visit our Career area.
Want to learn more about us? Visit https://www.boehringer-ingelheim.com/
Boehringer Ingelheim is an equal opportunity global employer who takes pride in maintaining a diverse and inclusive culture. We embrace diversity of perspectives and strive for an inclusive environment, which benefits our employees, patients and communities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
READY TO CONTACT US?
Please contact our Recruiting EMEA Team, Tel: +49 (0) 6132 77-173173
Not exactly the position you are looking for but have someone else in mind? Share it via the button on the bottom of the page with friends or colleagues who might be interested.