Become part of our international research group and gain insights into the future of the energy sector. Not only you can use your expertise to create prognoses on the future capacity expansion, but also get an overview of different technologies and their synergies.
We are offering a
PhD Position - Impact of High-Frequency Demand and Supply Fluctuations on Energy System Design and Operation
Large energy system models optimize the size, allocation and operation of components based on simplified assumptions and finite time steps. Most of the models consider an hourly temporal resolution due to limited data availability and computational limitations imposed by the optimization problem. However, due to the coarse temporal resolution, it is not guaranteed that the optimized energy systems as proposed by the model would be operatable in reality. Therefore, the optimized models need to be tested for high-resolution time series, which steadily gain importance due to a growing share of renewable energy sources.
Contribute significantly to the reliability of cutting-edge energy system models by:
- Collecting data and statistical features for various demand and supply time series and creating a data synthesizer for high-frequency fluctuations for different technologies and locations
- Evaluating the quality of energy systems optimized based on coarse data by testing their operational feasibility for highly resolved data
- Investigating the dynamical limitations of system components in the subhourly domain (e.g. ramping, minimum downtime, etc.)
- Deriving statements on the reliability of current model predictions for future energy systems and quantifying their additional costs for guaranteeing their reliability based on your research findings
- A master`s or comparable degree in natural sciences, engineering, economics, mathematics, computer science or a related field of studies.
- An interest for data science, data (de-)compression and the development of programming algorithms
- Basic knowledge in computer-aided optimization and simulation
- Fluent speaking and writing skills in English
- A high degree of autonomy and commitment
- A thorough and reliable working style
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change! We offer ideal conditions for you to complete your doctoral degree:
- A highly motivated working group as well as an international and interdisciplinary working environment in one of the largest research institutions in Europe.
- Excellent scientific and technical infrastructure
- Opportunity to participate in (international) conferences and project meetings
- Continuous professional support from your scientific supervisor
- 30 vacation days per year
- The possibility to access all computing resources via VPN and to work flexibly from home at any time
- A large research campus in the countryside, which offers the best opportunities for networking with colleagues as well as for sporting activities in addition to work
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
- A structured doctoral program for you and your supervisors with a comprehensive range of continuing education and networking opportunities via the JuDocs doctoral platform ( https://www.fz-juelich.de/judocs/EN/Home/home_node.html)
The position is initially for a fixed term of 3 years. Pay is above average and in line with 75% of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund). Further information on doctoral degrees at Forschungszentrum Jülich including our other locations is available at: www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_Docs
Forschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.