Our continued success depends on you - the next generation of specialists who will help steer the world towards a better future for communities and the environment, though collaboration, expert knowledge and daring to think differently. We're looking for someone who is committed to tackling environmental and sustainability challenges, ideally with knowledge of impact assessment as well as environment and sustainability legislation, policy, guidance, and best practice more generally. As a Graduate Consultant in our Impact Assessment Practice Area (IAPA), you will be involved in research and analysis, combining desk studies with site visits. You'll employ your creativity to develop ideas and solutions to deliver effective environmental and sustainability outcomes and improved project performance.
As a member of our Impact Assessment Practice Area (IAPA) you'll be delivering a wide range of projects within multi-disciplinary teams. You'll need to be self-motivated, enthusiastic and ambitious, as well as having...
- Excellent research and report writing skills
- Excellent numerical and analytical skills and the aptitude to understand and communicate complex technical information
- Ability to work as part of a team and the capacity to collaborate and communicate effectively with colleagues, clients and stakeholders
- Ability to work to deadlines, working flexibly under pressure and responding to changing project and programme demands
- Understanding of how to help manage projects effectively
- Very good Microsoft Office skills including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong organisational skills, attention to detail and the ability to structure and prioritise the delivery of project outputs effectively while working as part of a multi-disciplinary tea
- Environmental economics
- Environmental impact assessment
- Environmental management
- Environmental planning
- Environmental policy
- Environmental science
- Geography, housing (sustainable, planning, regeneration and urban management)
- Social science, sustainable development
- A full and clean driving licence is beneficial for site work
- A good understanding of the potential for digital solutions to assist in tackling environment and sustainability challenges and be able to help us in delivering our digital transformation agenda.
We pride ourselves on being at the forefront of efforts to address the key issues facing society, including decarbonising infrastructure and achieving net zero, reversing the decline in biodiversity, tackling the housing crisis and promoting community wellbeing. 3 IAPA projects include large-scale renewables, electricity and gas transmission, commercial and residential development, high-profile transport infrastructure, marine and coastal development, minerals extraction and waste management, and evidence to inform the preparation of spatial and land use plans.
IAPA work includes:
- Environmental Impact Assessment for projects across all sectors
- Option identification and appraisal including routeing and siting decisions
- Environmental management including project and programme management support for major and complex projects and post-planning consent support
- Strategic Environmental Assessment and Sustainability Appraisal
- Natural capital assessment, environmental valuation and environmental net gain
- Equality, diversity and accessibility-related assessment and broader social impact and social-value related work
- Housing needs assessment
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organisations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine on our website.
When you start with AECOM, we will pair you with a senior member of the team who will guide and mentor you through your initial period of working on live projects and business development proposals. Your responsibilities will include:
- Supporting project directors and managers and wider project teams in the delivery of impact assessment projects
- Assembling and analysing data and carrying out desk-based studies and site visits
- Assisting in the delivery of project outputs including - for example, scoping reports, environmental statements, environmental reports and related technical studies
- Participating in project team meetings, client meetings and internal meetings, including training sessions
- Prioritising tasks and meeting commitments on an on-going basis and taking ownership and responsibility for the completion and quality of work
- Assisting project directors and managers and wider project teams with the coordination of inputs from colleagues internally as well as external sub-consultants
- Providing ideas and potential solutions for more effective environmental and sustainability outcomes and improved project performance
- Following sound project management principles and appreciating the need to work within project budgets
- Keeping up to date with relevant environmental and sustainability legislation, policy, guidance and best practice
- Ensuring that health and safety issues are embedded in project delivery from the outset
- Providing input to business development proposals (expression of interest and tender responses) and continuously improving our service offering to clients
Our Graduate Development Programme (ADVANCE), along with our huge scope of projects across the globe, will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our programmes form a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have more than 1,000 graduates on our programmes across the UK and Europe from more than 30 different disciplines - and each and every one of them makes a tangible difference to the environment we all live and work in.
We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including chartership with the relevant professional institution. We demand the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support and guide your progress and on-the-job training will be provided with the opportunity to work on live projects.