Space Applications Services is a company at the forefront of space technology development and the provision of services for human spaceflight, exploration and earth observation missions. Headquartered in Belgium (Brussels Area), with a research office in the Netherlands and a subsidiary in the USA, the company provides solutions for both commercial and institutional customers. We work with clients such as the European Space Agency, the European Commission, governmental and national space agencies as well as the major space industries.
The company develops payloads, avionics, robotics technology and products, and provides complete mission operations control centre solutions to EN9100 standards. The company also provides engineering, science and training services, including astronaut training. In our headquarters, we have a control centre room that operates commercial payloads on the International Space Station, and a laboratory comprising a cleanroom.
The successful candidate will be based in our main office at Sint-Stevens-Woluwe (Brussels Area).
The position is in the Systems Department, Avionics & Embedded Systems Team (comprised of 4 persons).
The candidate will mainly report to the Avionics & Embedded Systems Team Lead.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Electrical and electronics design of spacecraft payload
- Technical specification of electronics subsystems
- Design of PCBs according to ECSS and/or IPC Class 3, including analysis and simulation
- Selection, procurement and qualification of COTS/HiRel electronics subsystems, EEE parts and PCB assemblies
- Preparation and performance of electrical testing campaign (e.g. functional, performance, EMC, ESD)
- Assessment of system reliability, failure modes and safety.
Skills and Experience
- A Master’s degree with at least 3 years of experience
- in electrical/electronics engineering
- Knowledge of/experience with:
- Electrical/electronics hardware design and analysis
- Networking protocols and data communication equipment (e.g. switches, routers, 802.3, TTE)
- PCB design tools (e.g. Altium Designer), impedance matching (e.g. microstrip, stripline), signal propagation delay, parasitics definition, crosstalk minimisation
- FPGAs, SoC and IP Cores (preferably in space industry)
- Strength to cope with schedules and deadlines
- Excellent written and spoken English.
The following experience would be considered as an asset:
- Payload development for ISS
- Embedded systems (microcontroller and FPGA based), ECSS and/or IPC class 3 standards related to electrical and electronics systems design, manufacturing and testing
- Radiation SEU testing and FPGA circuit redundancy solutions (spatial, temporal redundancy etc.)
- Development of VHDL/Verilog for FPGAs and integrating IP cores in FPGA design.
What Do We Offer
- Working within a growing company with Staff located in Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands
- A professional working environment with motivated Engineers and Scientists coming from all different horizons and countries with a common passion for space
- A full-time position with an indefinite contract of employment
- A competitive remuneration package and good working conditions
- An individualised training and development programmes.
How To Apply
Send your CV and Motivation Letter (both in English) via our website (www.spaceapplications.com), to the attention of Mr. Michel Ilzkovitz.
Applications received through the “Careers” page of our website are reviewed in priority.
The candidate shall be eligible to work in the European Union or in possession of a European Blue Card for two or more years.
We are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.