Space Applications Services is a company at the forefront of space technology development and the provision of services for human spaceflight, exploration and earth observation missions. Headquartered in Belgium (Brussels Area), with a research office in the Netherlands and a subsidiary in the USA, the company provides solutions for both commercial and institutional customers. We work with clients such as the European Space Agency, the European Commission, governmental and national space agencies as well as the major space industries.
The company develops payloads, avionics, robotics technology and products, and provides complete mission operations control centre solutions to EN9100 standards. The company also provides engineering, science and training services, including astronaut training. In our headquarters, we have a control centre room that operates commercial payloads on the International Space Station, and a laboratory comprising a cleanroom.
The successful candidate will be based in our main office at Sint-Stevens-Woluwe (Brussels Area).
The position is in the Systems Department, Earth Observation Team (comprised of 3 persons).
The candidate will mainly report to the Earth Observation Team Lead.
The Team is developing a software framework to build complex cloud-based big data processing platforms. The software framework is primarily used for building systems offering massive systematic and automated data processing to deliver products and services using Earth observation data and other data sources.
The target audiences for the framework are scientific algorithms developers, data analysts and service providers who want to implement process/business workflows, taking advantage of cloud computing.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Designing and developing distributed data processing platforms and services
- Applying cloud-based distributed processing, Big Data methods and technologies to develop the framework
- Configuring and deploying application workflows for automated and on-demand satellite data processing
- Setting up and maintaining Linux and container-based distributed environments
- Contributing to the projects/products technical and end-user documentation
- Participating in the business development activities for the team.
Skills and Experience
- A Master’s degree in computer science, software engineering, or relevant
- A proven experience with or knowledge of:
- The software development lifecycle, including the production of projects or products documentation
- Software programming, especially of Web applications and services (preferably with Python/Django, Flask, VueJS or React.js, Go, SQL using PostgreSQL)
- Designing and interacting with relational databases
- Linux systems as user and administrator, familiarity with Virtual Machines; knowledge of Xen will be an asset
- Cloud-related technologies (Docker, Docker-compose, Marathon/Mesos (DC/OS), Ansible Playbooks, Kubernetes, Apache Yarn and Spark, OpenStack)
- Knowledge of the EU and ESA data exploitation platforms is an asset
- Strength to cope with schedules and deadlines
- Excellent written and spoken English.
What Do We Offer
- Working within a growing company with Staff located in Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands
- A professional working environment with motivated Engineers and Scientists coming from all different horizons and countries with a common passion for space
- A full-time position with an indefinite contract of employment
- A competitive remuneration package and good working conditions
- An individualised training and development programmes.
How To Apply
Send your CV and Motivation Letter (both in English) via our website (www.spaceapplications.com), to the attention of Mr. Bernard Valentin.
Applications received through the “Careers” page of our website are reviewed in priority.
The candidate shall be eligible to work in the European Union or in possession of a European Blue Card for two or more years.
We are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.