As an SCD graduate you'll work on real life projects and services to help SCD in the development of new research data management systems, scientific software, computing and cloud platforms.
Working in a series of teams through the first two years, you will make an impact and be able to develop your expertise in:
- Linux, cloud, high performance computing, systems management and hardware
- Data storage and management of large complex scientific datasets
- Software engineering and scientific software development
- Project Management
- Working with scientists to deliver to their requirements
SCD Graduates undertake four 6 month real projects with the outputs being used beyond the end of each project. You will work in operational teams and will be responsible for the technical development and outcomes of your project.
Past Projects Have Included:
- Deploying and running private clouds using OpenStack
- Software engineering of new tools to lead large scale data.
- Developing and installing new system tools to monitor 10,000s CPU cores and 100 Petabytes of data
- Programming of new scientific analysis and simulation applications
In order to apply for this role:
- Obtained first degree bachelors or Masters, (not doctorate) in a relevant subject in either 2020, 2021 or be due to receive it in 2022
- Expected or have achieved a 2:1 or above
- The right to live and work in the UK
- Experience of Linux system management, clouds, PC/server hardware or networking
- Experience of Software engineering methodologies
- Managing a project
- Using scientific computational software
- Working in a team
- Understanding of IT security
- Ability to communicate technical information to different audiences
Personal Skills, Qualities and Attributes
- The willingness to learn new skills, both technical and non-technical
- Open minded and flexible in relation to the type of work assigned to them
- Good communication skills, able to influence people at all levels
- Demonstrate good team working capabilities
About UK Research Innovation (UKRI)
UKRI is an organisation that brings together the seven disciplinary research councils, Research England and Innovate UK. Together, we build an independent organisation with a strong voice and vision ensuring the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation. Supporting some of the world's most exciting and challenging research projects, we develop and operate some of the most remarkable scientific facilities in the world. We are pushing the frontiers of human knowledge through fundamental research and delivering benefits for UK society and the economy through world-class research, skills and business-led innovation.
Disability Confident Employer:
As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy/ies. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
How To Apply:
Online applications only preferred for this role. Please click the apply now button, and submit a CV and covering letter which clearly outlines how you fulfil the criteria specified along with your motivation for UKRI and the role. Ensure that the job reference number is included in the filename description of each document uploaded. Note that failure to address the above criteria or submit an application without a covering letter may result in the application not being considered. Assessment will only be based upon the content of your submitted covering letter and CV and not the 'experience' section of the application. UKRI seeks to ensure it creates and maintains a system of openness, fairness and inclusion - a collaborative, trusted environment, which is attractive to and accessible to everyone who is interested in developing their career with us.
- Organisation: Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)
- Contract Type: Open Ended
- External Closing Date: Oct 31, 2021
- Minimum Salary: Pound Sterling (GBP) 27,938
- Hours: Full-time