If you are a hardworking and talented electronic, micro-electronic or nano-electronic student then we have graduate opportunities to match your ambition, and we would be interested in you joining our team. We design and construct a wide range of complex electronic and microelectronic systems for projects worldwide. As part of high-profile international collaborations, our systems have helped discover the Higgs boson, our custom ICs and image sensors are used in a plethora of projects from scientific research to bio-medical applications, and our specialist services in IC design methodology are relied upon by researchers throughout the UK and Europe. Our graduates are offered permanent contracts and will work on real projects from day one. You will receive a variety of training in both technical and personal skills and be supported to develop and reach your full potential. In addition to being part of the STFC Graduate Scheme, you will be actively encouraged and supported to achieve Chartered Engineer status through our IET accredited Professional Development Scheme.
Summary of Key Duties and Responsibilities
Our leading facilities and varied projects will provide you with outstanding Graduate career opportunities including:
- Mixed signal ASIC design using the latest IC technologies.
- Design of sophisticated digital systems using embedded microprocessors and FPGAs.
- Application engineering & consultancy for the latest design tools and Integrated Circuit design flows.
- Design of CMOS Image Sensors using state-of-art microelectronics technologies.
Personal Skills and Attributes
You must be self-motivated and interested in a technical career as an engineer. You will have good awareness of basic electronic principles, have an analytical approach to problem solving and dedication to understanding the continuously evolving and fast-moving world of integrated circuits. You will receive all necessary technical training, be supported by experienced colleagues and a mentor, encouraged to use your initiative and allowed to demonstrate your innovative engineering skills. You will also need to have good interpersonal skills and be able to communicate effectively (in English) with colleagues, project partners and customers. We recruit on a rolling basis. Therefore, we recommend you to apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. Applications will be reviewed and considered on an ongoing basis until our roles are filled.
- Obtained first degree bachelors or Masters, (not doctorate) in a relevant subject in either 2020, 2021 or be due to receive it in 2022
- Expected or have achieved a 2:1 or above in a relevant field with degree content (and projects) that are relevant to the posts available (eg Electrical and Electronic Engineering or other subjects with significant electronics content). Equivalent qualifications also acceptable. Degree(s) must meet IET educational requirements for CEng.
- The right to live and work in the UK
- Minimum of three A-levels at grade C or above one of which must be mathematics, or alternative qualifications, (e.g. BTEC / international examinations) of an equivalent level
- Clear, comprehensive, credible and coherent application with good written communication skills (in English)
- Demonstrate good understanding of basic electronic system and device fundamentals
- Show aptitude for problem solving and diagnosis of challenging electronic engineering problems
- Have genuine interest in electronics, microelectronics or image sensor design with dedication to maintaining relevant technical knowledge and committed to Continuing Professional Development
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and influence people effectively at all levels with internal and external colleagues and customers. Good verbal communication skills (in English)
- Be conscientious, reliable, hardworking and flexible
- Ability to use unmodified computing equipment and complex CAD design tool packages for extended periods of time
- Demonstrate good team working capabilities, and show the ability to integrate and work effectively within the existing team based environment at STFC - RAL
- IET membership
- Relevant industrial experience or directly relevant university project
- Ability to travel within UK, Europe and US as required
About The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)
The STFC is a world-leading multi-disciplinary science organisation where curiosity, blue-skies thinking meets practical, application-led science and engineering. Our goal is to deliver economic, societal, scientific and international benefits to the UK and its people - and more broadly to the world. As one of Europe's largest research organisations, we're trusted to support, enable and undertake ground-breaking projects in an outstanding diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we're driving progressive advances in science, engineering, computing and technology. Our research seeks to understand the Universe from the largest astronomical scales to the tiniest constituents of matter, yet creates impact on a very tangible, human scale.
About UK Research Innovation
UKRI is an organisation that brings together the seven disciplinary research councils, Research England and Innovate UK. Together, we build an independent organisation with a strong voice and vision ensuring the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation. Supporting some of the world's most exciting and challenging research projects, we develop and operate some of the most remarkable scientific facilities in the world. We are pushing the frontiers of human knowledge through fundamental research and delivering benefits for UK society and the economy through world-class research, skills and business-led innovation.
How we support EDI in the workforce
At UKRI, we believe that everyone has a right to be treated with dignity and respect, and to be provided with equal opportunities to thrive and succeed in an environment that enables them to do so. We also value diversity of thought and experience within inclusive groups, organisations and the wider community.
Disability Confident Employer
As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
How to apply
Online applications only preferred for this role. Please once you have clicked the apply button, submit a CV and covering letter which clearly outlines how you fulfil the criteria specified along with your motivation for UKRI and the role. Ensure that the job reference number is included in the filename description of each document uploaded. Note that failure to address the above criteria or submit an application without a covering letter may result in the application not being considered. Assessment will only be based upon the content of your submitted covering letter and CV and not the 'experience' section of the application.
UKRI seeks to ensure it creates and maintains a system of openness, fairness and inclusion - a collaborative, trusted environment, which is attractive to and accessible to everyone who is interested in developing their career with us.
- Organisation: Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)
- Contract Type: Open Ended
- External Closing Date: Oct 31, 2021
- Minimum Salary: Pound Sterling (GBP) 27,938
- Hours: Full-time