International Consumer Services (ICS) is primarily responsible for the marketing of consumer card products and benefits, and the acquisition of American Express consumers in our international markets. This role sits within ICS Operational Excellence (OE), which ensures there are checkpoints in place so that American Express is meeting regulatory and brand expectations in marketing and selling to consumers.
In ICS Operational Excellence, our ethos is to run an efficient and effective framework, building strategic relationships and using these to advocate for us and to add value to the partners we support. We do this through fixing issues & gaps, enabling growth & change, preventing issues and process breakdowns whilst sustaining robust controls.
We are passionate about our commitment to drive the company's goals of growth and progress by partnering closely with our compliance partners the business can grow revenue while meeting customer promises and regulatory expectations.
The Brighton office is diverse and inclusive, with a wide range of employee networks, languages and cultures. American Express' passion for attracting and retaining amazing talent is what makes us stand out and the reason we regularly win the best workplace awards all over the world.
The American Express 10 week Summer Internship Programme gives you the opportunity to work on meaningful projects, whilst developing world-class leadership skills.
Working at American Express
There's a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people's lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We've also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they're ready to take on a new career path, we're right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don't make a difference without it.
Don't live life without it.
What type of work can you expect to do in within Operational Excellence & Business Risk Strategy?
Operational Excellence & Business Risk Strategy will offer you varied experiences and a view of end-to-end business management. Your opportunities are diverse; you could be working on anti-money laundering, automated testing, process engineering, strategy, third party risk, among a broad range of other possibilities.
You will experience new challenges, build a diverse skillset, and gain insight into how American Express acquires and markets to customers, while ensuring we are meeting local and regional regulatory requirements. Your contributions will have a direct, high impact on how we support our business to drive revenue growth, while ensuring we appropriately manage the risk of operating across all international markets in an ever evolving and intensely regulated environment.
We value our interns - you bring a new point of view to our business. You will be encouraged to work collaboratively and drive innovation on your internship.
The Summer Internship Programme commences in June 2022 for 10 weeks. It consists of the following components:
- Introduction to American Express through an induction day and training sessions
- Meaningful projects which will have real business impact
- Regular Speaker Series with senior management
- Social and networking events
- Structured management process and regular feedback
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently or in teams
- Be curious and interested in learning more about the bigger picture
- Have an interest in process improvement and the different ways of solving problems
- Demonstrated experience building, sustaining and using relationships
- Strong work ethic, organizational skills and attention to detail with excellent follow-up skills
- Strong ability to communicate and collaborate well with people at all levels
- Highly ambitious and results driven with the ability to manage projects and initiatives to completion
- Demonstrated willingness to take initiative and act decisively
- Positive, can-do attitude embracing Growth Mentality
- Project management skills with the ability to prioritize and multitask
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize, manage, analyze, and interpret large amounts of data to identify trends and themes
- Proven ability to translate technical and complex information into easily understandable terms
- Superior Microsoft Office skills with emphasis on Excel and PowerPoint
- Currently enrolled in a full-time undergraduate degree programme (any degree discipline) in your penultimate year of study
- Strong academics
How do I make a successful application?
In order to make a successful application please ensure that you answer the below questions in your cover letter:
Why American Express?
Why Operational Excellence & Business Risk Strategy?
What key strengths do have that would make you a successful graduate within Operational Excellence & Business Risk Strategy at American Express?
Your cover letter and CV will be shared with hiring managers, please ensure you spend the time to provide detailed, well researched responses to the questions. We expect cover letters to be around a page long.
Equal Opportunities Statement
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
If you require any assistance with the completion of this process - or need any reasonable adjustments to be made - then please contact the Campus Recruitment Team.
This role may be subject to additional background verification checks.
Please note, applications are reviewed in batches and it is advantageous to apply early. The official application deadline for this vacancy will be Friday, 19th November 2021.