Technical Support Engineers provide support for industrial battery energy storage products. This primarily involves diagnosing and resolving equipment problems reported by Tesla’s customers and internal automated asset monitoring infrastructure. This is accomplished in connection with Tesla and 3rd party on-site field technicians. The role also involves the remote commissioning of new equipment deployed to our customers, along with supporting site and product level quality issues.
The Tesla Energy team is committed, and fast moving, consisting of applications engineers, power and control systems engineers, project engineers, product support engineers that sit at the center of business development, Tesla technology, the deployment and service of stationary storage projects on the grid. As a member of our team, you will help to shape the success of our projects in various applications worldwide. You must have a genuine passion for engineering products that will fundamentally change the world’s energy infrastructure and must want to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Investigate why an Industrial Battery System is not working as expected and establish the repair plan for the system.
- Troubleshoot complex communication problems among inverters, energy meters, battery controllers, and central SCADA devices, often using only command-line tools such as NMAP, traceroute
- Troubleshoot complex electrical/electronic and control system problems with battery systems across different applications such as microgrid and utility scale on-grid applications.
- Remotely update networking devices to resolve identified issues and restore operation to the system
- Remotely commission new Industrial Storage Systems for Tesla customers, including configuring them to customer’s specifications, updating the equipment’s software and firmware, and functionally testing the equipment.
- Review single line diagrams when troubleshooting Industrial Battery System site level issues
- Support customers and field technicians working with Tesla’s Industrial Battery Products using remote diagnostic tools and troubleshooting.
- Report reoccurring quality problems to the product engineering and manufacturing teams.
- Configure Tesla’s controller network settings as per customer’s requirements to enable communications with customer controller and any meters shared with customer.
- Maintain and update the content and structure of Tesla’s customer and equipment databases
- Develop a deep specialized knowledge of the proprietary tools developed by Tesla to monitor the Tesla fleet for issues
- Support continuous improvement of data processing techniques used by Tesla’s internal tools to evaluate performance and find malfunctions.
- Enthusiasm for green technology.
- Experience in a customer service environment.
- Experience and proficiency with the Linux programming environment.
- Advanced knowledge of communication systems and protocols such as TCP/IP, including the tools available at the command line interface to troubleshoot network communication issues.
- Can interpret complex electrical single line diagrams.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Excel and/or professional statistical analysis software.
- Understanding of a technical support environment and processes, including ability to document case histories clearly, accurately and with detail. Ability to prioritize workflows effectively according to multiple criteria. Experience with CRM systems, mobile case/ticketing systems, bug tracking systems.
- Personal skills suitable for frequent direct contact with non-technical customers in technical troubleshooting scenarios. A positive, friendly manner on the phone and in writing is essential, as well as patience and the ability to instruct and inform during troubleshooting.
- Ability to independently make decisions and solve problems with limited direction.
- Grasps basic concepts of electricity (AC/DC, current, voltage, resistance, power vs. energy etc.).
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science or relevant industry experience.
- Foreign language proficiency a plus, ideally French.
- Degree in Electrical, Electronic or Energy Engineering. Alternatively the equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional ability.