The Role: S&P Global Platts Commodity Associate Programme is a seven month rotational programme with intakes in March & September 2022. The programme starts with a month’s training followed by two three-month rotations in different commodity sectors, leading to a permanent role.
Grade (relevant for internal applicants only): 9
The Location: London
The Team/The Business: You will be part of a the Platts price reporting team and will be considered as a specialist in the market(s) you will be working in. We are looking for genuinely curious and motivated graduates that are passionate about the commodities market, reporting and want to develop their career in a dynamic, high performing and diverse team.
- Our real-time news, pricing and analytical services help markets operate with transparency and efficiency.
- Be part of a global company with a strong history of growth and a globally diverse workforce with 20 offices spanning six continents.
- Be known as a respected source of essential information and part of a renowned brand.
- Get the best of both worlds: a nimble, highly specialized company and a business casual culture with the benefits and backing of S&P Global – a company that fosters development and growth, as well as work-life balance.
- We are looking for critical thinkers to join our team at S&P Global Platts, the principal provider of commodity price assessment and information to more than 10,000 customers in over 190 countries. The content you generate and the relationships you build are essential to the markets.
- Price reporters provide insightful market commentaries that demonstrate Platts' thought leadership in the market, demonstrating our ability to spot key trends that help customers better anticipate market-moving events
What’s in it for you:
You will be gathering qualitative data and intelligence from market participants as well as conducting price assessments guided by our methodologies. You will also be exposed to a number of market topics including supply and demand, infrastructure issues, geopolitical issues, transportation and regulation, and how these subjects impact respective markets. You will get an opportunity to learn about different aspects of Oil, Power, Natural Gas, LNG, Coal, Petrochemicals, Metals, Agriculture and Shipping markets.
During the programme, you will be fully trained in all the foundational skills and topics needed to succeed in the role of a price reporter. This includes writing market commentaries and news pieces which informs our pricing benchmarks and analytics.
You will receive four weeks of comprehensive training followed by two three month rotations in different commodity sectors – preparing you to move into a permanent price reporting role in one of our commodity teams. Should you meet expectations and perform well, you will be offered full time permanent employment at the end of the programme. Rotations and final placements are based on business needs.
You will be entrenched in S&P Global’s truly diverse and inclusive culture where you will have the opportunity to thrive as you bring your true, whole, human self to work.
- Establish and build relationships with key market participants in order to obtain valuable market insights
- Keep abreast of market developments through independent research and reading
- Write concise and informative market commentaries
- Verify source information through appropriate channels
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of our price assessment methodologies and apply them rigorously through the price assessment process.
- Complete all assigned foundational training to learn about commodity markets and develop new skills
What we’re looking for:
Completion of a minimum BA/BSc undergraduate degree by March or September 2022. Postgraduate students are also encouraged to apply.
- All degrees welcome concentration in Journalism, Communications, Business, Economics, Mathematics, Finance, Engineering, Sciences, or energy related disciplines are particularly welcome. Many of our graduates do not come from a commodity background.
- Strong communication (good verbal skills, listening techniques, and a clear, concise writing style)
- Able to learn quickly, multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
- Understand importance of building strong relationships and partnering with team members
- Problem-solving, time-management, attention to detail & organizational abilities to work efficiently with market sources
- Intellectually curious
- Significant comfort level with suite of Microsoft Office products (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint Excel)
About S&P Global Platts:
At S&P Global Platts, we provide the insights; you make better informed trading and business decisions with confidence. We’re the leading independent provider of information and benchmark prices for the commodities and energy markets. Customers in over 150 countries look to our expertise in news, pricing and analytics to deliver greater transparency and efficiency to markets. S&P Global Platts coverage includes oil and gas, power, petrochemicals, metals, agriculture and shipping.
S&P Global Platts is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.platts.com.
S&P Global has a Securities Disclosure and Trading Policy (“the Policy”) that seeks to mitigate conflicts of interest by monitoring and placing restrictions on personal securities holding and trading. The Policy is designed to promote compliance with global regulations. In some Divisions, pursuant to the Policy’s requirements, candidates at S&P Global may be asked to disclose securities holdings. Some roles may include a trading prohibition and remediation of positions when there is an effective or potential conflict of interest. Employment at S&P Global is contingent upon compliance with the Policy.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other status protected by law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.