We are offering a
PhD position - Atmospheric Sciences: Development of a multiphase chemical box model for the analysis of chamber and field experiments
The MESSy software https://www.messy-interface.org/ provides the ideal basis for the application of process description and diagnostics within different kind of models. Mostly MESSy is applied in 3-dimensional global and regional models. In this project the same software will be used and further developed to drive a 0-dimensional model (also called box model) for the analysis of atmospheric chamber experiments. In this way, new findings from the analysis of chamber experiments can be directly applied within the 3d models used with MESSy. Analysing chamber and field experiments with this tool will enable to advance our knowledge in radical chemistry and assess its global impacts on the atmospheric oxidation capacity and aerosol formation.
Your tasks in detail:
- Starting from a technically working atmospheric chemistry box model, your task will be to further develop the box model in order to provide boundary conditions and include process descriptions relevant for the respective chamber experiments. This could, for example, be the improvement of the multiphase oxidation mechanisms of organic compounds.
- The aim of this project is to expand an atmospheric chemistry box model with a technical infrastructure for the standardized provision of boundary conditions and driving data and proof its functionality by the analysis of chamber experiments performed at IEK-8. In order to facilitate the analysis of the model results additional on-line diagnostics should be developed and implemented in the MESSy software.
- Master degree in chemistry, physics, environmental sciences or a related field (e.g. computer science, mathematics) with good final grade (German system equivalent 2.0 or better)
- Programming experience is essential. Knowledge of Fortran, experience with Linux/Unix environments as well as with the usage of HPC clusters are of advantage
- Basic knowledge of (atmospheric) organic chemistry is essential
- Knowledge of atmospheric sciences is of advantage
- Good skills in data evaluation using mathematical script routines
- Ability to work in an international team, good skills in the spoken and written English language
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change!
We offer ideal conditions for you to complete your doctoral degree:
- A highly motivated working group as well as an international and interdisciplinary working environment at one of Europe's largest research establishments
- Outstanding scientific and technical infrastructure
- Opportunity to participate in (international) conferences and project meetings
- Continuous scientific mentoring by your scientific advisor
- Further development of your personal strengths, e.g. via a comprehensive further training programme
- A structured doctoral degree programme for you and your supervisors with a comprehensive further training and networking package on our doctoral researchers' platform JuDocs https://www.fz-juelich.de/judocs
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
The position is initially for a fixed term of 3 years. Pay above average in line with 67,5 % of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund) and additionally 60 % of a monthly salary as special payment ("Christmas bonus"). Further information on doctoral degrees at Forschungszentrum Jülich including our other locations is available at: www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_Docs
Forschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.